Sunday, January 06, 2013

6. Embarrassment #JanBlogADay

This is the hardest one so far... Where to begin? I don't feel like I get embarrassed at that much. Ashamed at choices, dismayed at typos, but embarrassed - not so much.  Actually, let's face it, I'm often horrified, mortified even, at my typos.  (Anyone embarrassed that this graphic has "embarassment" spelled wrong?  I won't claim credit for noticing that.)  But I often re-read things I've written - especially emails and blog posts, and sometimes I can't believe the typos, wrong word selections or downright bad ideas that just make me look stupid.  Embarrassed, not so much.  Dismay, so much.

Don't get me wrong, that's not a good thing. I can't tell you how many times Lori comes to me later like a network executive... "uh, I've got some notes about something you said earlier at (church/small group/the party/dinner with friends/to those people in the elevator/to our waiter/to that cashier)"



I suspect I have an under-developed sense of embarrassment and it gets me in trouble. I have to work hard to avoid saying stupid stuff at work. I'm mostly successful. Less so at home, all too often, especially at the dinner table, Lori often sighs and asks why she's eating with three children. We all laugh and I mentally try to do better. But that is not easy because I like making people laugh.

Come to think of it, that's when I'm most at risk of doing something embarrassing, when I'm trying to be funny.

I have read a few other people's posts for today and find it interesting that they chose to talk about specific incidents and that actually did not occur to me to do. I can't think of any really big ones, I guess I've done a great job of repressing them all.

Day 6 of January Blog a Day.


The whole list:

2 comments:

James said...

I do the same network-executive style "notes" for my husband, too. I think it's a wife thing :)

And I take credit for spelling "embarrassment" wrong. Whoopsie. (If only Photoshop had spell-check.)

James said...

Why doesn't it? Seems like a big omission for a product that's been around since the Abacus 1.