Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Who Ate My Pocket?

Who Ate My Pocket?

I've been noticing a disturbing trend lately and discussions with my colleague confirms it: dress shirts are more and more commonly not containing pockets.

I don't know if it's a style thing, a perception that no one needs them anymore, or if it's the Wal*Mart effect - as prices race towards zero, the extra scrap of fabric and time spent sewing it on is money. At $38 for your average shirt with 600,000 little pins holding it oh so perfect, not to mention about 3 pounds of cardboard, plastic and tissue paper, I'd like to think that they can afford to sew on a pocket.

But me, I need my pocket. Occasionally, I will keep a kleenex in it. But more commonly, that's where I keep my Bluetooth headset. (I don't like wearing it around constantly. I feel like, well, you know how people who wear them constantly are ridiculed.)

And when I'm cleaning up around the house, I might put a found tiny child's toy there temporarily to make sure Ben doesn't find it and put it in his mouth.

Occasionally my phone or a credit or security card if I'm using it a lot in a short amount of time.

But mostly the Bluetooth. (A new coworker once saw the blue blink a few times while talking to me and thought I had a heart monitor. I told him that you never wanted to see it go red.)

So, yeah, shirt makers of the world - bring back the pocket!