Saturday, September 28, 2013

Thanks for the motivation, @RunKeeper (A Work-Related Post)

Got this recent email from RunKeeper. Awesome!

Relevancy: Oh yeah. Came mid-day, so it must have been right after I completed a walk.

Branding: Yep, RunKeeper's pretty consistent in their email design.

Technical: No issues.

Messaging: Great. Simple message. So simple, in fact, that it's odd that they've chosen such a small font. It's fine on a desktop, but an email from an entity that's mostly about its apps and this email couldn't be read on a mobile device. This seems like a surprising oversight.

Follow-through: A link offers a chance to post to Facebook, but it's a generic link to my RunKeeper profile, no mention of my 1,000 mile success. There's also a link to tweet out your success, which I did. In includes the hashtag #RK1000 (not #RK1K?) which is quite successful - several new people hitting the mark each day and not all in English even. But even more, RunKeeper's missing a great opportunity. They should be using IFTTT to immediately congratulate someone who posts that hashtag. Even if it's automated, it just further spurs on and validates the person who's put in all that effort.

Summary: Was very cool. I hadn't been watching closely and so that was a really nice touch. It did make me a little sad that I haven't run (except for Miami) for quite some time, just a lot of walking. Not sure why I haven't run. No one's fault but my own.

Here's the email:


No comments: