Sunday, June 23, 2013

EDC

I don't think I could ever bring myself to the point of having a uniform, though I have tried to simplify my wardrobe. I still own too many different articles of clothing, but I've been trying to pare back. Better to have a few nice things that complement than a whole bunch of stuff and not know what works and doesn't until/unless Lori stops me on the way out the door.

But I did hear of a related concept that I've found quite interesting: Everyday Carry. This tip is about identifying the stuff you carry every day. And then, of course, having a place for it so that it's always there so you always know where it is. My dad had this really cool box that, when you lifted the lid, a tray lifted up as well and it had compartments underneath. Kind of like a tool box or tackle box. I have a yellowing Gladware plastic storage container. Nothing's supposed to go in that box except the EDC.

Obviously, EDC is popular with Lifehacker and probably Unclutterer. So without further ado, here's mine:


  • Wedding Ring
  • Sunglasses
  • Keys and keycard (keys are clustered onto rings so I can remove specific rings for work, home, car so that I can remove specific rings when I don't need them. (Hopefully this photo is small enough and blurry enough that no one can make duplicates of my keys)
  • Stylus for touch devices
  • Fischer Space Pen
  • A small amount of 4" post-its (folded in half)
  • Wallet (credit card, health and car insurance, driver's license, business cards, Just-One-Card for a lot of places)
  • My Simple Hipster Wallet with Simple Card and extra business cards and iPhone headphones
  • iPhone 3GS (not because I'm a hipster but because it still works for business purposes and the company is paying for it)
  • A few clean napkins of pieces of paper towel (in case of spills or runny nose)
So even though I don't have a uniform, it is nice to suit up each morning and stock my pockets with my EDC and be confident that whatever arises, I'm prepared.

Of course, my backpack is never too far away with laptop, iPad, all kinds of cords/adapters, multitool, flashlight, gum and emergency packets of Splenda.

Oh, and some proof this is a thing (though they say "Extended Daily Carry" but whatever):


What's in your EDC?

No comments: