Saturday, August 07, 2010

Simplify

Every time I go on vacation, I come back relaxed, a little more at peace.

But all too quickly, reality reasserts itself. I'd rather stay on vacation, thanks.

So, what to do, what to do. I know in the past I've looked at the idea of the reset and I've looked at new ways of storing stuff that makes putting away laundry simpler, but there's gotta be more.

Frankly, the problem is clutter. More coming in than going out. Stuff just lying around that need to be dealt with. Etc., etc. You probably know what I'm talking about.

Now, granted, I'm not the only one living here, and the clutter's not all mine, but it starts somewhere. And maybe if I can get my clutter under control I'll be invited to expand my scope.

So, I'm going to join the A Thing a Day Challenge - getting rid of stuff. Every day, one item. If possible, two items. If I miss a day, make it up. Sometimes, it might be a cheat, but the goal is to make it a habit. Not stuff into storage -- trash or recycling or donation. And if it's a donation, it has to be donated by the end of the month, no donation box sitting in the garage for a year.

Additional... this is why I shouldn't try to watch TV and post at the same time, I forgot a few things... one, we spent our vacation in the living room of the flat on a Murphy Bed. It showed that we could get by with less. While the bed itself wasn't the most comfortable, I am impressed by the simplicity and space-saving design. Also, we like to look at the houseboats while we're there and when I look at houseboats, I can't help but imagine what it would be like to live on one and what that means in terms of simplifying and decluttering ones's life. Oh, and the getting rid of stuff starts tomorrow... it's too late today to think seriously about it.

No comments: