Saturday, August 14, 2010

Popes and Bankers: A Review

I received this book from the publisher in exchange I was to review this book on two bookseller websites.

To be honest, it took me several months to chew my way through this tome, and even longer to get around to posting my review.

I'm torn. On one hand, the author has obviously really done his homework on this book. As you read it, it's got a lot of interesting tidbits and a bazillion superscript numbers pointing to his research.

On the other hand, it's a bit plodding. And like all non-fiction historical books, the closer it gets to modern day, the more I am interested, but the sparser the information. And a complaint I often have about non-fiction historical books (Disney War, the Hilton story) which is not the fault of the book, but history moves so quickly that by the time it's printed, some new things have come along that you wish could be covered in the book.

I'm not sure I know anyone I'd recommend this book to. It must have an audience, but it wouldn't include anyone I know.

No comments: