Friday, December 31, 2010

Two-Thousand-Ten

January

Trajectory
The other day in devos they talked about trajectory and the idea of "what were you doing 10 years ago?" First off, my brain says "Ten years ago? 1990? Still in high school." I have to really fight with it to get it to agree (and even then, it's begrudgingly) that ten years ago was not 1990. I don't fear aging, I just don't like the idea of being this old. I don't like the idea of looking at the college students who watch our children and thinking that to them we look as old as we must look. Granted, by many stretches of the imagination, I am not really that old. But I'm not 22 anymore, either. When did that happen?
Also in January... Name Calling * Haiti * Taking Back My Name * Started "Odds and Ends" * Several 120s * Phonephobia * Introducing my Friends (wish I had kept that up)



February

Compromise
How does she do it? At age five, logic has not fulled forms, she has no concept of the cost of things, and most importantly, compromise is a word she hardly understands at all. To be sure, there are times when she doesn't get her way, but in terms of the big dreams, the big future, everything is possible. The sky is the limit, and if she can dream it, someday it will happen. In her world, tomorrow might be her birthday. Even when shown the calendar, it still might be tomorrow.
Also in February... The Case of the Missing Pockets * Fractured Facebook * Fighting Dress Code Erosion * Overconnectedness



March

Carol The Cat (April 15, 1997-March 16, 2010)
Carol the Cat passed away today, a victim of two incompatible diseases common amongst cats - hyperthyroidism and kidney failure. Treating one would often result in the other becoming more pronounced and this tug-of-war just wreaked havoc on her frail, aging body.
Also in March... Hope * Five of My Distant Colleagues Killed in Pakistan * Bacon * Daddy/Daughter Day * A Starbucks Original (15th. Ave.)



April

The Calm of Nothing
The blank page. The unforgiving blinking cursor. Staring you down. Daring you to take a stand, make a move, commit to something. Pick a topic, run with it. Only, that's not really happening. Like the page, my mind feels like a blank slate. I don't know where to start, I don't know where I'm going, so there's no way to figure out what comes in the middle.
Also in April... Pastiche * Dream * Church Groundbreaking * Thin Spaces * Fun with Aluminum Foil (photos!) * Hatred of Logic * Leno Can't Catch a Break * Giving Up at Work



May

Missing Joe Cool
I was in a funk this evening. I hadn't seen one of these in awhile, but I was feeling sorry for myself in a big way. It hadn't manifested itself as clearly as some of the past cases, but that's what it was, I can see now, now that I'm on the other side of it.
Also in May... Disjointed * Tick Tock * Ending of LOST * Dear ABC * Dinosaurs in the Real World * Respect Mah Authoritah * It was like the difference between day and another day



June

Higher Standard
It's no secret that I hold certain people to a higher standard. I don't think about it much until they fail that standard. Today someone that I do hold in really high standard said something in my hearing that was rather in appropriate. It was an off the cuff joke. It wasn't like an HR moment or anything, but it was still quite disappointing. I was in a place I wouldn't normally be and they knew I was nearby. I wasn't part of the conversation and but they also weren't in a private location.
Also in June... Couples Only * Late for Home * Rain, Rain Go Away * Rachel's Recital * A Lot of Settlin' Going On * In Plain Sight * Secret Agent Man



July

So Long, 15th. Ave.
Saddened to learn via Crosscut that 15th. Ave Tea & Coffee is being re-renamed Starbucks. (If you look at the Street View for Google Maps, it's still showing Starbucks from before they renamed it 15th. Ave.) That was quick, articles from July 2009 talk about the pending change from Starbucks. Whiplash. Oddly enough, the domain for 15th. Ave. is streetlevelcoffee.com. Brand confusion, much?
Also in July... Eye-Fi Rocks * Amazon's Marketing Problem * Strike * Comcast Grumbles * What Are We Listening To?



August

Simplify
Every time I go on vacation, I come back relaxed, a little more at peace. But all too quickly, reality reasserts itself. I'd rather stay on vacation, thanks. So, what to do, what to do. I know in the past I've looked at the idea of the reset and I've looked at new ways of storing stuff that makes putting away laundry simpler, but there's gotta be more. Frankly, the problem is clutter.
Also in August... A Thing A Day (short-lived) * Stupid King County Street Naming * Popes and Bankers Review



September

Say My Name, Say My Name
I have this fear. I am afraid I will forget your name or mispronounce your name. So when I see you at work or I see you at church, I just say "Hey" or "Hi" or "Yo." Or if I've had too much candy, maybe a "Hey buddy" or "Howsitgoin'?" It's a stupid fear.
Also in September... Blockbuster's 11 * Where Am I? * Food * Eggsactly * What Kind of Seafood? * Comcast Responds (never did get that resolved, still think they're ripping us off every month)



October

...That Would Be Great
And for as much as I've been self-identified as a pessimist, when it comes to people, I am an incredible optimist. I want to believe the best in everyone. I want to believe they all want to give 100%. They all want to work hard, they all want to learn and grow. They are all ambitious and committed. They all see it more than just punching a time-clock. I should know that's not true.
Also in October... Presentation Zen (Review) * Our Popular Flickr * Falling Off a Cliff * Looking at Isaiah * The Oasis * The Gift * Banned in Kazakhstan



November

Shed
The first time I ever thought maybe I had a weight problem was in college. I think it was the summer between my junior and senior years, so probably 1991. Though I was still in college, I was working for an internet company (pre-startup). I had photoshopped a copy of my student ID and had emailed a copy to a colleague in Wisconsin who I'd (and to this day) never met in person. We were talking on the phone and he made some crack about always picturing me as skinnier.
Also in November... Word (so proud of this post!) * And Again * Trapped in My Head * Me of Little Faith * Vacation * Inertia * Fractured Facebook 3 * I fixed it * Elusivity of Simplicity * Getting It All Done *



December

How Deep the Rabbit Hole
It's 1:25 am and I can't sleep. I'm going to regret it in the morning, I'm going to be very tired at church. I regret it already. I am tired now. But I can't sleep. I got some disappointing news today. It's not as bad as news some of my friends have received, or even as bad as past news I've received, but at this exact point in time, it's really disappointing news. So here I am, literally laying on the couch. Welcome to my therapy session.
Also in December... Rewired (review) * Hello, Sift * No Cookies * Flash Mob * Survivor Quitters * Nine Days of Vacation Challenge * If It Aint Broken - Break it!



Past years:

2009 * 2008 * 2007a, 2007b, 2007c * 2006 * 2005

No comments: