Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Two Thousand Seven (Part 2 of 3)

Part II – A Look Back

I am a little disappointed in my blog posts this year... some months it was difficult to find something actually worth quoting.

Thanks to Allison's suggestion, all of us went to the Olympic Sculpture Garden yesterday with Steve and Liz. It was really a beautiful day, the kind of blue you look at later in photos and think "Wow." I mean, we were there, but to see it in still life is still pretty amazing.
Also in January... Tiny computers ... Spider Boat ... Portland Snow Crash Video ... Chopper Pilot Saves Deer ... Apple TV and iPhone ... More Cake 2 ... Snow

Gray, white, black and tan.
Random flecks arranged in rows.
Gray stands out from otherwise dark carpet.

Long day, all day training.
Informative with several entertaining speakers.
But after eight hours I'm ready to sleep.
Also in February... Death Star ... Cingular Experiment ... Yahoo! Answers ... KLOS ... Superbowl Losers

One day in 2000, I wanted donut holes. It was one of those weird "project days" -- you know the kind, you're walking around, talking to people, going to meetings. Not a sit - at - your - desk - and - stare - at - your - screen - for - hours kind of day. And I wanted some poppers. So I go to my computer, punch in my location, my credit card and within 45 minutes, there's a call from the front desk that I have an order waiting for me. And yet today, in 2007, this isn't possible.

I'm just saying... Stupid dot com bubble.
Also in March... KMZT ... KZLA ... Stranger than Fiction ... Black Dog ... For Your Consideration ... California DMV ... Twitter ... Music & Lyrics ... 5 Guys in a Limo ... New Phones ... Broken Phone ... Experience Economy ... Promotion ... Throw away Richard Jeni ... Have you met TED? ... Larry Gold – dead ... Andy Barker, PI ... Power Outtage

I was recently agreeing that it seemed like March was taking forever. And now I find myself in April already. This weekend was a blur, which was funny because it seemed like it shouldn't have been. It snowed for a few minutes, I spent some time reading and some time trying to veg. I now believe my goal to do nothing is not going to happen any time soon.
Also in April... Caveman’s Crib ... Beauty Pageant for Camels ... Green Celebs ... Home Remedies ... Disney War ... Super Proposal ... Joost ... Google Wishlist

Today feels like a good day for a reset. In the recent past, I abandoned more cake2, I dropped off my book list, I pretty much missed 40 Days of Community by not starting my reading on time and I've been consistently behind in my parenting class, always doing the reading the day before or day of. On the plus side, we made our budget for last month. So today, May 1, seems like a great time to press the reset button.
Also in May... Twittervision ... Immigration ... Armed Forces Day ... New to the Interwebs? ... I get RSS ... Projector in Your Pants ... iGoogle

It's raining outside. It sounds really cool. It doesn't seem like that's worthy of a full blogger post, but Twitter is down again. Actually, I'm standing in the kitchen on the laptop and using the desktop at the same time. Kinda weird. But I have the window open and there's a really refreshing breeze coming in. I have the lights off, the only light coming from the two computer monitors. Makes you forget all your real troubles for a little while. I guess I might as well just keep writing since I've started now.
Also in June... Jott ... Internet Radio Day of Silence ... Numbr ... MixMastah 800 ... Washington Idea Bank ... Sahara ... Suing eHarmony

I know I mentioned this briefly on Twitter and Facebook a few days ago but I never got around to actually detailing what happened. I got called into a conference room for an unscheduled meeting a few weeks ago. We've been in a perpetual state of reorganization for a few weeks now. I thought the dust had settled, but it hadn't. I was now being asked to lead my team as we moved over to a new group. My boss was getting kicked up to a new role. So, I said sure. My boss assured me that he'd take a lot of his meetings with him to the new role and I suspect a lot of the international travel as well, which is fine with me because I'd rather stay home with my family.
Also in July... Delorean ... Harry Potter 7 ... Promotion ... Tacoma Narrows 2 ... Teenage Affluenza ... The Wooden Horse of Troy ... Fiji Water ... Kwik-E-Mart

Wow... my posting for August has been pathetic. I've been swamped with work, obsessed with Weewar, completely consumed by Federal Way Graffiti and getting behind in my chores. I guess I've been doing more on Twitter, but I'm still not exactly sure what the point of Twitter is. It still seems really vain. But what I really don't get is Facebook. I have one and everyone at work keeps adding me to theirs, but I still get the point to it.
Also in August... Havidol ... Hot Fuzz ... Buy It Later ... 15 Minutes of Fame

It's almost 11. My goal was to be in bed by 11, but I'm not sure I'll make it. I'm laying on the bed, but not sure I'll be in bed. My knees are bent and the keyboard is resting on my stomach and my legs. Outside, thunder and loud, loud rain. I can also hear the murmurings of neighbors outside enjoying the rain. Rachel is also laying on the bed, head on my chest. She has, to some degree, been insufferable tonight. Demanding every few minutes to go to the bathroom. Of course, at this stage for her, every request must be honored. I finally decided this was the only way to get her to quiet down was to let her lie here on the bed next to me. She had made her way to where she was lying all the way across me but now she's rolled off and... nope, she's back again, now laying on my wrists making typing difficult. And she's gone again. At least she's quiet. The rain is just coming down like crazy. With large windows on two sides of this room, the sound is just incredible. And there's that smell... the fresh chilled smell of rain. It's just amazing.
Also in September... Panda Express ... Ticket Issuing Buses ... Dunder Mifflin Online

I'm sitting at the edge of the lake. It's been a rough morning. While I waited for my food to microwave, I killed the time by using the blood pressure machine as I do nearly every day. Today was by far the best reading I've had since I started regularly checking it. This was a surprise to me considering the kind of morning I had. It wasn't raining, so I decided I'd bring my food out and eat it by the lake. When I got here, a couple was just leaving and we exchanged hellos. I've seen them before. They left and I stood there looking out over the lake and heard a strange wheezing noise. I thought it was a duck, but as it got closer, I realized it was a dog's head. The dog was swimming as fast as he could but the noise sounded like that of panic. I tried to figure out where the dog even came from. I silently cheered him on... 'You're almost there, buddy!'.
Also in October... Blogger Play ... Balance ... HiDef Last Supper ... California Adventure’s $1B Upgrade ... Carter: Cheney a Disaster ... I’m a Quitter

November 2007
I have absolutely nothing decent this month to look back to and quote. I failed to be introspective, failed to write about what was new in my life.
Also in November... Passing of Evangelical Christianity ... Google Reader ... Writer’s Strike ... #2

When you have kids, you're expected to act like an adult. Or at least you feel like you should. But, I'm sorry. It's snowing big, huge fluffy flakes. And I've had Jingle Bells by the Barenaked Ladies on repeat as I jump up and down like a hyperactive child who found a stash of halloween candy. The good thing is that Rachel is happy to jump up and down with me in pure, sheer joy.
Also in December... Shmap ... Singing Cats ... Simplicity ... The Road ... Children of Men

In the past...
Up Next,,, Part III – The Look Ahead

No comments: