Friday, July 15, 2005

Fear, not.

All week I keep thinking about the terrorists and I keep re-realizing that I just don't understand them and I don't think most of us do. It's one of those cases where I think I know that I don't understand, but that ultimately, it's beyond my ability to really grasp the terrorist mind.

I don't mean the anarcists who live on our block and like to throw firecrackers at people's cars, but the real terrorists, who will blow people up, or blow themselves up. They really can't be stopped, because they really aren't looking for a resolution. They want to make their point, or do their thing, but aren't really progressing towards any end.

And as long as they don't have any agenda beyond blowing people up, then there's really no way to stop them.

And that's where I think we fail. Invading any country, for any reason, all it does is fuel their anger, give them something to point at. Should we not be in Iraq? No, I definitely think we need to be there. We won't stop terrorists, but maybe we can make it harder for them to operate, receive funds, and communicate.

And I'm not even sure everything I'm thinking here is making sense entirely. (I had a train of thought but people kept interrupting me.)

No comments: