Wednesday, July 13, 2005

BS Publicity

I am getting tired of non-news stories about people who have accidentally sold or purchased the latest Harry Potter book and whether or not they've read it or been ordered by a judge not to read it.

That's B.S. Everyone keeps talking about everyone "reading it together." Trust me, we won't even be buying the book until the start of the new week and within a few days I'll already be several hundred pages ahead of Ryan Seacrest. Trust me, the world don't all read at the same pace.

I think that if someone were to get ahold of a copy ahead of time, they're not likely to be the types who will "spoil" it for someone else. (No, leave it to Entertainment Weekly to spoil everything as usual.)

This is all a big to do about nothing and it's getting tiresome. I'd not read in protest if I weren't already invested, even if the last book was a bit boring.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Try working in a bookstore Friday night at midnight. On second thought, don't.

James said...

Oh, no thank you indeed.

Did you guys allow pre-ordering so that they can call ahead with a credit card? I bet you could move a lot of books that way, especially if there were a convenience fee.

I worked enough late nights at Blockbuster, thankyouverymuch. A low point for me was the night that I turned off the vacuum cleaner to wish the girl working with me a "Happy New Year" before resuming vacuuming.

Unknown said...

Our store alone has more than 1500 pre-orders for the book, if that gives you any indication about how f-ing packed it's going to be tomorrow night.

James said...

You need to wheel a cash register outside and not even let them inside. Hand books through a window.

Unknown said...

ah, yes, but then they wouldn't feel motivated to blow more cash on other merchandise, now would they? And considering that the 40% discount we're selling the books for put it exactly at cost, we're actually losing money (taking into account all the payroll hours) unless they buy other stuff, we must sadly let the dork brigade inside.