Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Colorblind (@BestFoods)

When you think of mustard, what color comes to mind? Most people will say yellow. A few, brown and one smart aleck will say "Grey" and you'll glare at them and they'll cheerfully say "Pardon me, do you have" and then trail off as you continue to glare at them and then gloomily say "Yellow." (not from personal experience)

And when you think of mayonnaise, white is probably the only color you think of.  (Bonus if you also think in your head "I order all of my sandwiches with mayonnaise, I'm a whiz at minesweeper I can play for days, once you see my sweet moves you're gonna stay amazed.")

So what was Best Foods thinking?



Classic case of "Don't Make Me Think" failure. Single servings are great in restaurants and catered picnics, places you don't find yourself at regularly. When you want to quickly grab a condiment, now you have to stop and do a little cognitive dance and this will build some negative subconscious ill-will towards the people bringing the food.  (That's not me, pretty sure that's David Allen.)

Best Foods will have you seeing red and maybe feeling
a little blue when you grab the wrong packet.
Are they green with envy or trying to whitewash an
inconvenient truth about the pallor of its product?

No comments: