Sunday, October 20, 2013

Book Review: Days of Blood and Starlight (@lainitaylor)

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor

So this is the sequel to Daughter of Smoke and Bone, a rich and dense story I read a few months ago. I don't want to spoil it, so here's my review. That would make it challenging, then, to write this review without spoiling this book.

I was really engrossed with book one but got to the end and couldn't figure out how there could be sequels, but I liked it so much that I pledged to keep reading anyhow. DSB and DBS cover a lot of ground. In the first book, you learn about another planet and its ongoing conflict and a desire by some to end the conflict that for two, blossoms into a relationship. A twist at the end of the book seems to result in a bittersweet ending that you wonder how they'll recover from.

Book two extends and expands the story, but the problem at the end of book one is allowed a slow burn. Not a tease in any way, but a reasonable progression. The book is an engrossing and rich read (512 pages) but even as it stands on its own, you can tell it's part of something big, something epic.



If there were anything negative to say about this book, I would say that the act breaks and chapter headings aren't as good as in the first book. But you don't really need to pay much attention to them. The act breaks probably a little more.

So I totally recommend both books. At a combined total of close to 1,000 pages, it will take some time to read, but they are great reads, great escape, great writing. And, oh boy, a little bit anxious for book three - some big things have been set into motion. Sorry these reviews are vague, I just enjoyed it so much that I want you to be able to experience it as "cleanly" as I did.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (Amazon, My Review)

Days of Blood and Starlight (Amazon)


As always, thanks for clicking through to Amazon.

No comments: