Thursday, September 01, 2011

Reorg (A Work-Related Post)

We embarked on a large reorganization at work today.  Earlier this summer we brought a bunch of groups together and then a lot of people did a lot of work to determine what we were going to look like.  That was creating new departments and programs, moving people around.  There was a lot of thought (and prayer) put into this.  No small feat.

And in the end, I was impacted as well.  Until today, I ran two teams - a web team and an email team.  We had different web teams for different kinds of work.  The problem was that each team was small, so it was hard to find time to learn new skills, especially if you knew you weren't going to have many opportunities to use it.

But by folding my team into the two other teams, it made both teams larger, meant both teams could now do what my team did and would allow everyone to cross-train.  I think everyone got that pretty quickly, even as it felt bittersweet, it was cool seeing the team excited.

The email team had a few dedicated members and a few that split their time between email and web.  They still split their time, but now that both teams don't report to me, that will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Without the web team to oversee, I was freed up for a new role.  They created a new group to place a bigger emphasis on supporting our customers, but within our group and within the org.  My new job has a weird working title I don't remember at the moment but I'm essentially a lot closer to the requests when they come in. It will allow me to help people who have a problem they don't know how to solve, it'll allow me to help with analysis on requests come in that need help, stuff like that.  I think it will give me a good chance to help more with strategy.

Pretty exciting.

No comments: