Friday, September 09, 2011

Endless Mode (A Work-Related Post)

You know those games where you encounter wave upon wave of enemies that you must take care of?  And they come at you faster and faster and more and more?  Eventually either something has to give -- you detonate a super-bomb or you get overrun and "Game Over."

Wow, it kinda felt like that this week.  Except not with enemies.

The new role continues to excite and challenge, but -- as the team that stayed with me worried -- wow, it can be time-consuming.   It's been fun, but it's been a lot of work.  A lot of meetings.  I've tried to come up with a good analogy, and I think it has something to do with a deck of cards being thrown in the air.  Maybe I need to shoot all the ones with spades or something.  I'm not sure.

But, yeah, the rules were changed, but there was no stopping the onslaught of incoming work.  If anything, it's gotten crazier.  We had some good breakthroughs in the past few days and I think we're a lot clearer on a few important pieces, more people on the same page, some good synergy and cooperation, but it's also exposed some serious issues that are out of our control that may really hamper things.

I am optimistic, though, to the point that I can't wait to get back to work, can't wait to get back into it, can't wait to get more of this solved.  I'm really thriving.

That said, this week is about taking it easy, far moreso than even a normal weekend.  So, I will do my best to not think of work.

1 comment:

Lindsey Talerico said...

Glad to hear things are looking up for you, friend. You can be the breakthrough King :)