Sunday, February 18, 2007

The Great Cingular Experiment, Day 1

On August 23, our contract with Verizon Wireless ends. We've had Verizon wireless for most of our marriage and with the exception of one trip to the East Coast where they messed up my billing. (Ultimately fixed.)

Sadly, since moving to the new state, we've come to find out that we live in a "known trouble area with no planned fix" and I work in a "known trouble area with no planned fix."

So, I have six months to figure out what to do next. I've opted to go with Cingular also known as AT&T. I've not heard the best things about their customer service, but their actual service is supposedly top notch in our area. And in our office building, they have a repeater for Cingular so it works flawlessly.

On Amazon.com, they're selling phones for a penny that cost $100 on Cingular's website, so I've opted to purchase the plan from Amazon.com.

Amazon.com lists 43 phones. Lori and I prefer flip phones, so the first order of business was to eliminate the non-flips. That's taken the list down to 22. That's where I'll stop for now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am still without a cel phone, or at least without an active one. I still have my old phone from 1998 in a box somewhere.

James said...

ok

Unknown said...

I'm just saying, I just got off the phone with my sister, who only has a cel-phone because she never paid her AT&T (sorry at&t) bill. And it sounded like she was in another hemisphere. Why? Because she got one of those infernal Bluetooth earpice things. Cel reception was already crappy, but that didn't stop the companies from creating new technology to make them sound even worse... but people keep buying them, and paying for the service. It would be like paying for an internet connection that garbled every seventh e-mail message. When the technology actually works, meaning when I can hold a conversation without either having to shout or be shouted at, maybe I'll consider reinvesting, but right now it seems like I'd be throwing good money after bad. Land lines work fine. I'm not important enough for people to need to get a hold of me when I'm working, driving, or shopping, and my work certainly doesn't demand it.