Saturday, August 06, 2011

Big Finish

Remember that 100 miles in 100 days goal?  If you follow my blog, you should - I made that goal on June 11 - 56 days ago.  Somewhere along the way I realized that was too easy a goal and upped it to 1.5 miles a day, or finishing in 67 days.  I was looking at the chart tonight before my run and realized that I had six miles to go.

I kept thinking about it as I ran and I realized that looking forward to completing it tomorrow wasn't good enough.  I was going to push through and try to do it tonight.  I had done 5.8 one other time and regretted not being able to do 6 (and therefore only getting to count 5) so tonight, yeah, I was gonna try.  I hoped that I wouldn't need to use the bathroom but planned for a route that kept me close to businesses just in case.

I had to pause several times tonight due to crosswalks, as well as stops at two stores.   First Walgreens and then backtracked to QFC after Walgreens didn't have anything I wanted -- I desperately needed a drink but wanted something tasty without caffeine.

And in the end, I cranked hard, even got the radar speed sign to read 8 miles an hour late in my fourth mile.  That was pretty awesome.   I've been thinking lately that I need to get a t-shirt which reads "DEAF RUNNER" on it.  I get way too many cat calls and cheers from people passing by in cars.   It's been like 8-9 months since anyone's honked at me in a way that felt mean, but it's amazing how many people will hoot and whistle and cheer and lean out the window and wave with smiles on their faces.  Since I have my headphones on and can't hear them anyhow, maybe such a t-shirt would encourage them to tone it down.  (Or honk to see if it's true... hmm....)

Anyhow, what now?  Well, time to get some new shoes.  I bought these shoes after I caught my last pair on the underside of an airplane seat in 2009, so they're pretty old.  They've done well, but I ought to get a pair designed for running.   Also, a few days to recover (I'll be sore tomorrow and a conference in Seattle on Monday and Tuesday) and then a new goal.  I'm thinking maybe 500 miles in 300 days or something.

No comments: