Thursday, March 10, 2011

Resolutions

So at the start of the year, I made a series of resolutions.

  • I Will Dress for Success - I said I would dress professionally, no matter how my co-workers have. This is easy and yes I have. I counted up recently and I think I have 18 ties now, some I haven't even worn yet. I'm still introducing some new clothes I got for my birthday. Some great compliments on a very vibrant purple shirt and tie I wore today.
  • I Will Take More Photos - yeah, so far failing on that one.
  • I'm Going to Be in Better Shape - I'm at my maintenance weight of 150 (down from 190 back in August) but I need to be doing more to actually now improve my shape. More pushups, situps, strength training and yoga, I guess. My face is starting to get more angular which is cool, and oddly enough, I seem to be establishing a 4-o'clock shadow. (I'm blond so I can get away with shaving three times a week, but it seems like even as soon as I've finished shaving there's a barely perceptible shadow.) When the weather improves I'll start walking again.
  • I Will Learn to Tie a Tie - YES! Thank you, YouTube and MyNiceTie. I watched that video a few times and now I can do a basic knot no problem.
  • I Will Learn How to Put Chains on my Car - no. At least not yet. Ironically, it's been cold (and I've had a cold) so I've had no interest in being outside any more than absolutely necessary.
  • I Will Learn the Books of the Bible - wow, doing poorly on this. My six-year-old has been helping me, though. I need to get more serious about this.
  • I Will Read and Learn More - Eh. It's been slow going. I've had several books (I Don't Have Enough Faith to Be an Aetheist, Moby Dick, Poke the Box) in progress for too long. Mostly the City book I just finished - it took awhile to get through. I've probably been able to read for an hour a night 3-5 nights a week. It's been slow going. I also still have a big backlog of magazines.
  • I Will Write More Consistenty - I have fallen down on this. Argh.

I like how Erin from Unclutterer is trying small monthly resolutions. I like it because there's a shorter time-frame, fewer things to think of at once, and I'm guessing in some cases, she's turning them into habits she can carry on even as she moves on to new challenges.

No comments: