Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Homestretch

This has taken way too long, but I'm happy to announce that I have only 30 pages left in DisneyWar, probably one of the most fascinating books I've read in a long time. Though certainly not the longest. It's been really interesting because as it progresses through time, I remember where I was the day they pretty much shuttered DIG (the same day I got let go from AOL Time Warner)... Until now, I had wondered what would have happened if I hadn't been under contract and had taken one of the many jobs DIG was throwing at me, I didn't realize their end came the same day as mine. I remembered where I was when SaveDisney.com was the must-visit website. I remember the day I heard the Bass family was having to unload a lot of stock and being able to snag some shares at some pretty decent prices. I remembered the day I learned that AOL had purchased Time Warner, or the day that Comcast made its play for Disney or the day the ABC deal was announced.

While I was never part of the Disney story except as a consumer, it's been an amazing, amazing read. It's so sad what is so clear in hindsight. I simultaneously have more respect and more disdain for Michael Eisner and some of the other people who I thought were mistreated weren't quite the nice guys they seemed. I guess my view of some of them was incredibly one-dimensional and carefully shaped by public relations and now I have a more complete picture of who they are.

Anyhow, I can continue to sit here and type or I can go back upstairs and read those last few pages and remember about when Iger was announced as successor, when Disney bought Pixar and the next chapter of the Disney story. I really recommend this book.

After I'm done with this book, I'm taking a short break. I counted, I have 31 magazines on my nightstand. Some I just need to skim, but still, that's a lot. Plus, we've started a church-wide 40 days thing and I'm already 3 days behind on my reading for that.

No comments: