Friday, March 01, 2013

PSA: O and then M and then G

We were watching an episode of Friends last night. I was astounded at how frequently the phrase "Oh my" and, well, you know, was uttered. But I guess I do remember how well Matthew Perry could deliver that line. I remember I used to laugh at that line.

But somewhere along the way that stopped being funny to me. And probably shouldn't have ever been funny to me.

So it really pains me when I see people string together "O" and "M" and "G" on Facebook. Worse so when it's a Christian.

Listen, free speech and all, but don't kid yourself... "G" does not stand for "Gosh" or "Goodness." It stands for "God." To claim otherwise, you are kidding yourself.

Not a Christian and wondering why that's a big deal? It's (or should be) quite offensive to Christians:

“You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God, for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless who misuses his name." - Exodus 20:7 (NIV)

Use it if you must, use it if you want, understand what it means to your Christian friends.

But to try to claim you mean "gosh" or "goodness" you're are only fooling yourself. It's like me saying "I just joined the KKK." and expecting you to understand I mean "Kirkland Kountry Klub."

No comments: