Sunday, November 17, 2013

Book Review: The Lacey Confession

The Lacey Confession by Richard Greener

I checked out this book after seeing the Bones episode that was the launching point for The Finder. By the time we got to that point in Bones, that show had already premiered, had a run and been canceled. Perhaps one for Netflix.

Lacey was a good read, but it took awhile to get into it, and by the end, I was left with an odd sense of déjà vu. I don't think I'd read it before, and it wasn't because of the TV episode, but it was weird. Perhaps it was subtle foreshadowing, or maybe I was just ready for it to reveal what I was pretty sure was the case, but by the end, I knew what was coming. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it was a little odd to me to lack that element of surprise.

Where the TV show featured a rather young guy, the book (he's known as "The Locator" - looks like there's another show with that title already) has the guy as quite a bit older, coming out of retirement to find someone as a favor. In this particular case, the person he's supposed to find has some documents, documents that a lot of people don't want revealed. These different people have their different reasons, but one central point is that it identifies the man supposedly responsible for the deaths of several members of the Kennedy family, including John F. Kennedy. Greener works so hard to nail down this explanation as plausible that at times you're wondering if you're reading a historical text and when you're going to get back to the story.



What I really liked about this book was that it was told so matter-of-factly, whether it was a true fact, or whether it was made-up, like the Kennedy assassinations. The descriptions were great, but not in a braggy "look how much I know" but more of a realistic way that no matter where they were during the globe-hopping adventure, it felt real. I don't know if it would feel as real if I'd been to any of those places, but I'm just saying that the descriptions were well done. There wasn't ever a sense of things being made up or guessed or random. I appreciated that.

I felt the book was long and it took me awhile to get into it. But I did like it, so I will definitely check out the one or more other ones he's written with this character.


The Lacey Confession (Amazon.com)

No comments: