Saturday, February 08, 2014

Worth Repeating: Sandra Aamodt

Video:


Sandra Aamodt - Why Dieting Doesn't Usually Work - In the US, 80% of girls have been on a diet by the time they're 10 years old. In this honest, raw talk, neuroscientist Sandra Aamodt uses her personal story to frame an important lesson about how our brains manage our bodies, as she explores the science behind why dieting not only doesn't work, but is likely to do more harm than good. Read more on TED.com...

Why I'm Posting This: We have a "set point" (range) our body is trying to return to. That will rise if we're overweight for any length of time, but it doesn't lower if we lose weight. Really interesting. I once told a doctor I was stuck at my default weight and he didn't bat an eye. Now I wonder if I was on to something. Of course, I have dropped weight since then and I feel stuck there but I'm still determined to lower it a little more.

No comments: