Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Froot Loops

I wasn't going to write tonight, I had forgotten all about it and it's already 10:40 pm and we're already done watching LOST and I didn't sleep well last night.

But Lori's still riding the exercise bike, so I figured I might as well bang out my 750 just so I can keep up the streak. (This is day 13, that would have been a bummer to let it slide again.)

So "Glee" is on TV. I wouldn't say that I'm watching it, but I won't say I'm exactly not watching it either. The dialog is really snappy. I guess it's a Madonna issue. I saw something on some other website about how she's going to make a lot of money off of this episode. I would say, though, that I'm not really watching because now that I'm typing, I have to really look at the screen to type this fast.

We had an offsite today at work. We were working on goals in the vague sense, and strategy. It was pretty frustrating. Ok, going upstairs. Now the dialog is distracting to my typing. Ok, better. By the end of the day, I felt like I was the odd man out. Even though a lot of what we were working on had potential to really impact my customers, it went in a direction that was supported by everyone else except me. (They are all their own customers.) So I'm worried that we're going to end up with a less useful product, but majority rules and I'm not. I expressed my concerns to my boss and wondered if I really should be attending these, and now he wants to talk tomorrow. That's probably a good thing, but it was a discouraging day.

Of course, I also slept poorly last night, and didn't get nearly enough exercise today because we were offsite.

After work was nice, though. Just after I got home, Rachel and Lori left for Rachel's dance class. I did a few chores, did a little Wii Fit and then woke Ben from his afternoon nap. He stood on the couch next to me bouncing while I sat and read and handed him Froot Loops. He's doing this thing now where he'll put his hand on your face or under your chin and turn your head until you're looking at him, like a "pay attention to me" and then he'll smile so sweetly. It was really neat. He's done it once or twice to Lori but he does it all the time to me when I'm holding him and not looking at him, like looking at someone else or the computer screen.

Also, within a few days, I predict that we'll be reporting that he's jumped off the changing table. He's coming pretty close now. He'll grab onto my shirt or arm and then launch himself off, slowing himself by the fact that he's holding on to me or because my first instinct is to grab for him. But there's a serious lack of fear going on there. I'm worried about bicycles and roofs in our future.

Speaking of future, I'm going to predict the future. In the near future, Lori is going to say "Hey... what happened to the Heath Toffee Bits?" Unless she reads this, then I've changed the future because now she won't ask because she'll know. I ate them. And they were good. First, I put some in a bowl and then dipped a fudgecicle (stupid name) into them. And then when that was gone, I put the rest into the bowl and just ate them all. And they were really good.

I'm really tired now, but surprised that it's still a little bit earlier than usual. That's cool. As soon as I'm done here, I can go upstairs and get ready for bed and read for a little bit. Hopefully I'll sleep better than I did last night. Yesterday I remembered after 5 pm about today's offsite and since I hadn't told any of my staff even though I had two meetings with them all that day, I realized I'd better do what I could to avoid leaving them in a lurch so I spent about two hours last night responding to email, clearing out most of the immediate backlog. By 12:15 when the battery was dying, I sent them all off and then put the computer to sleep. Of course, then I was unable to go to sleep because my brain was too awake. I believe tonight I won't have that same problem, I'll make the transition with some light reading.

It does not feel like it's only Tuesday.