Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bad Interface: Microsoft

What a dumb interface. Ok, to unsubscribe from these newsletters, check the "subscribe" checkboxes and then click "unsubscribe." A few small changes would make this incredibly friendly and easy to understand:
  1. Words at the top which read "Here are the newsletters you are subscribed to."
  2. Either put checkmarks in the "subscribe" checkboxes to indicate that you're subscribed. (Unsubscribe by unchecking.) --or--
  3. Change the heading to say "Unsubscribe" above the checkboxes.
I expect more from Microsoft. There will be plenty of Microsoft bashers who will say this is not atypical for Microsoft, but I expect more. They are the 8,000-pound gorilla, so they should have enough money to properly test and think through how a product works, because this is just poor, poor, poor/dumb, dumb, dumb.

Just in case I misunderstood what I was supposed to do, I did go and mark the newsletters as junk/spam.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Why were you signing up with Microsoft?

James Lamb / tvjames said...

I wasn't. I was unsubbing from some stuff coming into my mostly unused hotmail account.