Monday, March 05, 2007

Stranger Than Chicken

If I stood in the parking lot with $5 in my hand, should I go into Hollywood Video and rent "Stranger Than Fiction" or should I go into Panda Express and get some tasty orange chicken? (Disclaimer: They are 20 blocks apart and if I got orange chicken, I'd want a combo and since a combo doesn't include a drink, I'd want that, too and that would push me over $5. And I never carry cash. And I got both the combo and the movie on Saturday.)

While well-cast, the great concept just didn't play out well. I believe it was intentionally mis-marketed to try to make up for some failings. That is, that isn't as funny as it wants to be, as dramatic as it wants to be, and certainly not as daring. There were some really funny moments, some rather interesting graphical effects, a very cool watch, and at some points, some good writing that calls to mind Douglas Adams. But overall, it was predictable and disappointing. It could have been so much more.

Orange Chicken would be a better choice.

No comments: