Wednesday, August 10, 2005

I work with a bunch of monkeys

Sure, they've given me dual flat screens on which to work, but they've also made it pretty darn clear that they don't want (or care) about my opinion. They want my skills, but not my brain.

Instead, they are pretty happy with the mediocrity they insulated themselves with and are happy to wear blinders that keeps them from seeing their true potential.

Freaking ironic for someone who consistently received "Fails to live up to potential" during the years where teachers actually wrote out report cards by hand (or were able to select pre-determined phrases from a list) to go along with the grades themselves.

But now, they'd rather weigh down this 109-year-old institution and keep it from being anything awesome, because they're so misguided they think they're "all that" when they're really not.

Why do I call them monkeys? Because monkeys are happy to do the same thing every day. They don't improvise, they don't innovate, they don't challenge, they don't show brilliance or ingenuity unless forced to. And when you can continue to collect a paycheck for blindly proceeding without actually thinking, why trouble yourself to think?

Which is why I've adopted a new motto for work. I DON'T CARE. I am not on leadership. I do not possess independent thought. I am a robot. I will do as i'm told, to the letter of the law. There is no spirit, there is no correction, this is no other possible way that could possibly be better, because if there was, someone else would have thought of it and told me to do it. I will not think for myself. It is a hard pill to swallow, and I'm finding it actually takes more work on my part to disengage my brain when I arrive at work. But I'm trying.

It's a sad, frustrating world I'm trapped in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I give your new motto two weeks. You have as much chance of being a between-the-lines/don't-make-waves type of employee as I do.

The good news is that on Monday I can give my current employers notice. As of September I'll be a clerk at the DA's office.

So, now the question remains, Mini Cooper or PT Cruiser?