Monday, August 15, 2005

Not Rocking the Boat

Sadly, the wind seems to have died down slightly. I don't know what that means.

But one of my colleagues today told me something that someone once told him, and I'm going to paraphrase because I like how my paraphrase sounds. But, basically:

Never make a hasty move in the middle of chaos or uncertainty.

We were talking about colleagues who are damaging our ability to do our jobs and, in our opinion, preventing changes that need to be made from actually occuring. While I can only fanatacize about them actually making the right decision for the good of the institution, it was a really interesting thought.

If I were to be patient, instead of desperately yearning for the breeze to begin blowing again, could a different wind push me in a different direction? It's all very hard to say, very hard to understand. But I'm still left with a different problem, and that's one of a larger need for change, one that goes beyond unhappiness at work. In the bluntest of terms, I need cash. I need lots and lots of cash. Lori is convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that God is calling her to stay home with Rachel. That's not going to happen without some unexpected influx of cash. Ideally, some people who quit and I'd get bounced way up the food chain. Granted, I would have no right to be there and the people I passed over would resent me and probably not respect me, but I can do the job.

Someone needs to mind the store.

No comments: