If you know me, you know I have an amateur fascination with transit, city/urban planning, development and architecture. So I've watched with interest the discussion of the tunnel. (I'm against it.)
So here's some interesting articles, in case this stuff interests you at all.
- Seattle Transit Blog: Videos of the tunneling machines - one of them did the Metro Goldline in Pasadena.
- Crosscut: Seattle's history of slaying 'concrete dragons'
- HistoryLink: Seattle City Council approves Bay Freeway plans in November 1970
- HistoryLink: Seattle voters scrap proposed Bay Freeway and R. H. Thomson Expressway on February 8, 1972.
- Flickr: Bay Freeway Brochure and Map
- Central District News: A Neighborhood Saved: History of Thomson Expressway - Description, Commentary, Map, Great Street Level Photos or the "Ramps to Nowhere"
- Flickr: A Map of the Proposed R.H. Thomson Expressway
- Abandoned Places: Close-up Photo Essay - very cool!!
- Wikipedia: Seattle Monorail Project - aka the Green Line, another failed transit initiative