Thursday, September 13, 2007

Show Me the World

Google announced today that they added streets to a mess of new places (Afghanistan, Aruba, Bahamas, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belize, Bermuda, Brunei Darussalam, Bhutan, Bolivia, Cambodia, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Indonesia, Iraq, Iran, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Kuwait, Laos, Lebanon, Mexico, Myanmar (Burma), Mongolia, Nepal, Nicaragua, Oman, Pakistan, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Papua New Guinea, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Timor-Leste, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen) today.

I ended up jumping to Mexico City and then coasting south, arriving in Roatán, a beautiful island in the Honduras that Lori and I had a private day-long tour of a few years ago. To see it again, from such a different perspective made me think... (1) it would be fascinating to go back and (2) much of the world is probably far more spectacular than what you see as an average tourist and (3) I will miss out on much of that beauty.

It's not something I can get depressed over, but it's one of those "bummer realizations." I guess it also suggests that with the limited traveling I will be able to accomplish in my lifetime, that it will be far better to go someplace new than to try to go back somewhere I've been before.

I guess this is a good philosophy for when I want to go to the same place to eat that I've eaten at nearly every week forever.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They haven't added streets to Pavlodar, and it is the fourth largest city in the county. Man, Google is a company of slackers.