Friday, September 28, 2007

At the end of the day...

Wow, what a rough week, what a bad day. I wonder, tonight, if I'm more liked /appreciated by my coworkers tonight than I was at the beginning of the day or just the opposite. It's not a popularity contest, but sometimes you gotta wonder what people think of you after a day like that. I think I did good. There were periods of not good and I did get yelled at by my boss' boss for using my blackberry during a meeting. But if she had asked me, I could have told her the last five things she had said. I believe I can actually concentrate better while I multitask. Otherwise, I will drift off and tune out entirely. But this isn't about that. This is about disorganization, a lack of focus and jury duty all over again. I've only been on jury duty once. But when I announced that I was going to be the foreman and we were going to get down to business, at least one other person, 10 years older than me, announced "I knew you were going to do it." That's right. I wanted to cut to the chase. Same thing happened today. Unfortunately, it should have happened 7 hours sooner. The day, for some of us, ended up being 13-1/2 hours. What was telling at the end was who was still there, as much as who wasn't. Or maybe it was more telling who wasn't there. I know I'm rambling, but I'm trying to decompress without actually complaining about any person or say anything inappropriate about my workplace. Most days, I can't wait to get back. I feel like I'm able to do good work, in a very positive and healthy environment, that I'm valued and that I bring good stuff to the organization. And I think I did that again today, but I can't help wonder if everything wasn't all rosy in the end. At least I don't feel good right now. I feel like holing up and hiding offline all weekend avoiding the phone and email so that I can get some good distance between me and the rest of the world, hoping all will be forgiven/forgotten when we go back on Tuesday.

No comments: