Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Remnants of WorkTM
  • You know? I could probably write reams about work on here, but I'd rather play Sim City. Suffice it to say, today wasn't a great day. One of my two bosses probably wonders if I still work for him. I have barely been at my desk for a few minutes in the past few days, and every time I have, my other boss has been sitting next to me trying to work on a problem with him. Today was the first day of user training on the web version of EMS. For the training, my boss made up a computer that had its own IIS, its on SQL server and its own copy of EMS Enterprise. And my customizations. Unfortunately, as he was showing people how it worked, it wasn't. I'm not sure what was going on, but I didn't want to deal with it, so I didn't really question it too much, but things were disappearing from the database. Always a very scary sign. If that happens on the real database, there will be hell to pay and we'll have a really crippled system if there's no way to add rooms to an existing event. Of course, one person has already not quite figured it out. After training, they were given permission to start using the live system. So someone requested a room (in my opinion, the wrong room) for an event and then happily forwarded us the confirmation that it was pending, since we had been hounding her for weeks for the room reservation. Of course, since it's pending, it's not official. I'll let my other boss ask her why she's forwarding us non-confirmed information. It's gonna be a wild and crazy ride.
  • I've thought some more on how we'll do pubicity and advertising for events from EMS. It won't be easy. But it could end up being pretty slick and pretty cool. I wish I had all the time in the world to just work on these crazy ideas of mine. Of course I also wish they were paying me for more than 30 hours a week since I work more than that and they act wounded and disappointed when I announce mid-Friday that I've done enough and I'm leaving. But, when there's a budget shortfall and possible layoffs coming up that I've been assured won't affect me, I should shut up, eh?

No comments: