Friday, February 28, 2003

Guilty Pleasures
  • Kim Possible, Disney Channel. Ok, perhaps it's silly, but I'm quite entertained by it. I'm not sure if there is really more than six episodes since they keep showing the same ones over and over again, but tonight I did see a new episode. Kim's arch-nemesis went to school with Kim's dad. He was kidnapping his former friends, including Kim's dad but had never put two and two together and realized that his classmate is Kim's dad. He then attempts to argue that "Possible" is a common last name, even leaving the room to find a phone book. It doesn't translate well, but man did I laugh.
Commercials Someone Should MakeTM
  • A couple is in a car and it won't start. The wife says "I guess we'd better get the car first aid kit." They both get out of the car and go into the garage and then pull out a giant white box on wheels that says "Car First Aid Kit" and has a big red Chevrolet logo. They open the box, get in the Chevy, start it up and drive off. Tagline "Chevrolet. Dependable." Hey, free for the taking.
Remants of WorkTM
  • Fridays are supposed to be my day off, but I spent about 12 hours there today. Fortunately, I got paid overtime for some of it. Still working on EMS. I have an almost perfect solution to the vision problem. Visio is integrated into the client, but not the web version. Try as hard as I could, I could not figure out how to convert a file into the binary format and uploaded into the SQL. But, I came pretty close. When people sign-in, they see their Reservations, they click on one and it shows all the Events. When they click on that, it looks up what room the event is in, then sees if a room template already exists. If not, it copies the standard room diagram for that room to a new file whose name includes the user's webuserid, the reservationid and the bookingid. Then it creates a small HTML file that contains a meta-refresh to the new visio file. (The goal was to upload this file into the database - the partial solution is to include that filename into a comment into the attachment database. So it appears as an attachment, but with no actual file. The only bummer is that you have to cut and paste the URL to see the Visio file. That's fine, we only have to teach one person how to do that. To the end user, it's all transparent.) IIf the file exists already, it picks up at this point. It calls the HTML file and that bounces them to Visio document where they can make changes. The last piece of the puzzle is to buy some more Microsoft File Sharing Licenses because Microsoft and Novell aren't communicating well and so we're just going to give users access to a single directory on the webserver.
  • Next week, I have to work some more on our directory project.
  • But, still more EMS work to do. They didn't even make it possible to edit the Event Name, Event Description or Event Type. Really crappy of them to deliver such an incomplete program. But that's where I come in, I'll comeplete it without them. (Someday I'll take clesses so I can explain what I'm doing.)

No comments: