Tuesday, February 18, 2003

Today's Top Stories, According to MeTM
  1. Google has purchased Pyra Labs, the company that provides this free website where I blog. Cool. Google Rules. (Grugles?)

  2. Mastercard and VISA admit that 5 million accounts were recently hacked. But they refuse to give any details about who was hacked, or who might be involved, instead saying that people should wait to hear from their credit card company and that users aren't liable for any fraudulent charges. Which, in my opinion, is so horrible bass-ackwards. I'm sorry, but if my information has been pilfered, it's not just enough to know I won't have to pay for stuff, but if my account were closed down and the only way I found out about it was my bank or credit card sent me a letter, I'd be redfaced as I tried to explain it to people who had charged my card as to why they were declined. It could hurt my credit record, not to mention all the non-credit-card-number specific info that people may have gathered about me that could used in identity theft. It sucks that we have a duopoly (sorry AMEX and DISCOVER, you're minor players since the Mastercard and VISA have locked up the banks) on credit cards.
    http://www.msnbc.com/news/874126.asp

No comments: