Tuesday, September 27, 2005

On Notice

We've been put on notice... the department needs to cut a quarter million in costs and they're nearly out of programs to cut. Pretty much all that's left is headcount. I don't know what to think. I'm part of two groups (both in the same department), one of 2 full-time and two part-time plus me and another with 3 full-time, one part-time and me. I don't know if that kind of complication of budget works in my favor or not. Last time I worked out all the different scenarios of who could potentially leave and who might stay. And then they went with a plan I hadn't even considered and I was out the door in a heartbeat, but with a 8-month severance. No such safety net available this time around, I'm afraid.

4 comments:

James said...

You know what? I wish they would just get it over with. Someone called it the "ministry of fear." The memo we got yesterday for one of my groups basically praised and lifted up each person individually (except the author). The smartest move would be to lose the department head, but he's in the middle of a house remodel and he's part of the team determining the cuts, so I'm pretty sure that won't happen.

Just get it over with already.

Unknown said...

Patience, grasshopper.

World Girl said...

You're too valuable to let go, I know that. Plus, you have a love/hate relationship with your job anyway. What about the possibility of a love/love relationship with the job of your dreams?

World Girl said...

You're too valuable to let go, I know that. Plus, you have a love/hate relationship with your job anyway. What about the possibility of a love/love relationship with the job of your dreams?