Thursday, April 06, 2017

📶 3/16, 6:30 am

I try to work from home once a week, usually on Thursdays. That gets me back the 3 hours I otherwise spend commuting or allows me to work late on days with a deadline without then having the commute after that. Not today, I find myself again on the train heading in. Read a report last night about the new proposed budget. I was surprised to learn that even though California puts more into the federal pool than it takes out, that federal remit is still a third of California's budget. And because we've diversified our workforce and aren't primarily reliant on the military for all our jobs, we stand to lose quite a bit when it comes to the new budget - a lot of our federal money goes to quality of life issues (education, environment, transit) especially for those marginalized or on the edges (elderly, disabled, poor, homeless). But, I think there is safety in numbers. When they say "the Great State of California," it's not just a catchphrase - this is a place of compassion, empathy and care for all its citizens. We will have to tighten our belts, but we will still survive, and prosper. But - I fear we will lose some of our young men and women to an unnecessary future war because you don't increase military spending unless you're planning to use it.

Composed Thursday, March 16, 6:30 am on some device or in some location where I didn't have a signal.

No comments: