Saturday, February 06, 2016

Day 36: 146 days to L.A.

Wow.. if you name it, I'm behind in it.  Lori's surgery has really slowed all of us down. I'm trying to pick up the slack and let her have time to rest, but there's just some stuff I'm not as good at, as fast at or as patient at, plus none of my stuff has gone away.  Fortunately, we've had a host of awesome people providing meals.  And not just "here's a burger" but like "Here's a massive a third-of-a-refrigerator-shelf tin of homemade lasagna" - or a (literally) "three trips from my car to bring in all the food" meals. We've had chicken, pork, lasagna, pizza, not to mention birthday cake.  Our friends have really taken good care of us. We're blessed to have to work hard to fit all the leftovers in our fridge.  (Meaning plenty of lunches have been taken care of as well.)

Lori is on the mend.  She's not to lift anything over 5 pounds or drive. So she can't lift Ben or the cats (who weigh as much as Ben) and her mom had to take her grocery shopping today.  She's had trouble sleeping, ending up staying awake really late at night and then trying to sleep in despite all the noise we've made starting the day.

My work has been busy, busier than I expected.  I've been focusing on the stuff with deadlines, but then other stuff pops back up and demands my attention and I have to admit that I haven't been able to push it forward.  Different priorities are important to different people, but it's a bit of a challenge. But I love it - working with some really awesome people and trusted with some big things. Being in the office is going to be amazing. FedEx showed up today and handed me a new laptop. It's fast and big and light and I'm going to have to see if it fits in the duffel bag I use for travel, though I ultimately want a different bag that's better for cycling.

All of the surgery and household stuff has slowed progress on the house.  The four large pieces of furniture are assembled (though the two hutches are not yet attached to the two buffets and the glass doors are set aside for now) - those final touches won't be done until the painting is all done.  After we decided that we didn't have it in our budget to have painting done I did a lot of priming (single coat) on the big walls in the living room and dining room.  But that's been over a week.  I need to get back to it.  Ben and the cats are stealing all the tape that was holding the plastic in place at the foot of the walls to catch paint drips.

Our contractor's been selected, the contract signed and the initial payment made to cover all the materials.

We've been sorting through the houses that have come up so far - our realtor has a portal for us where we can put houses into save or reject piles and add notes why.  We're asking for a lot at a price point just below what most are listing for.  We're seeing houses go right away and we're seeing others stay on the market for a long time.  It's hard to know what to expect.

Crazy times.  (and I guess 8 minutes ago we switched over into day 37. Perhaps I should get some sleep... Rachel will be up by 8 and want to be playing Skylanders by 9.  No Black Ops III for me tonight, but there's still catboxes to be cleaned and the coffee maker to be scheduled. And then, hopefully some sleep. And probably some contracting work for my side business will come in and need to get done tomorrow.

I have been nowhere near my diet with all this great food and desserts.

I've been trying to read from the bible with Ben each night, but sometimes he's not in the mood, or he's been mean or I wait too long and he's too sleepy. Sometimes he's grumpy with me so I just play a chapter from the app instead of reading it myself. Today I opened up the app to re-read what I had let play last night (I may not have paid as close attention when the app reads it) but this was probably something I needed to read:

In view of all this (God's gift of redemption), make every effort to respond to God's promises. Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, and moral excellence with knowledge, and knowledge with self-control, and self-control with patient endurance, and patient endurance with godliness and godliness with brotherly affection, and brotherly affection with love for everyone.  The more you grow like this, the more productive and useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. But those who fail to develop in this way are shortsighted or blind, forgetting they have been cleansed from their sins. (Peter's Second Letter to Christians in Northern Galatia, ~68 A.D.)


No comments: