Friday, March 13, 2009

Base Jumping

This morning's devos were somewhat interesting.  The question was posed "What did you think you were signing up for when you became a Christian?"  There were some interesting thoughts from those who opted to share.  But I wondered what people would think if I shared what I thought.  But I couldn't form it into cohesitivity quickly enough to share, for which I was grateful.

But it did bring to mind a quote: "Let us just say I was deeply unhappy, but I didn't know it because I was so happy all the time."  Reading IMDB to try to find out the exact wording, I've read a lot more quotes and realize it's been too long since I've seen that movie.

Side note: I'm watching an episode of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles that was recorded a few weeks ago.  Very interesting watching the robot with the Irish accent (Catherine Weaver played by Garbage's Shirley Manson) trying to relate to a small girl grieving the loss of her father.

Anyhow, during devos out the window this morning, I saw some crows.  I happen to think that crows are smarter than dolphins.  I think dolphins are just show-offs, but let's see a dolphin make a tool. Anyhow, first there was just one crow.  He was sitting on a branch outside window (we were on the second floor) facing away from us.  It was so cold that when he breathed out, you could see the steam coming out of his mouth.  It started to look like he was just playing around.

Later a second crow joined him and they were alternating their breathing and it really looked like they were talking.  It was pretty neat.

Eventually, the crow did something that just looked awesome.  It base jumped.  Not like a normal swoop off a tree branch, this guy did a free-fall.  It jumped off the branch, but it didn't spread its wings, it held them tight to its side and hopped off the branch, aimed its head and beak down and just fell.  A few seconds later, the other one spread its wings off, hopped off the branch in pursuit.  

I'd like to think I'm more like the first crow.  Not sure if it's true or not, but I'd like to think it.

No comments: