Saturday, June 26, 2004

I've decided not to vote for your re-election

An open letter to President Bush and Vice-President Cheney:


Dear Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney,

I have considered myself a moderate republican (abortion is wrong, guns are wrong, taxes are wrong) all my life, but I've decided not to vote for your team for re-election.

The thing that decided it for me was the way Vice-President Cheney responded in regards to his use of the f-word in his exchange with Senator Leahey. I know that we hold people like our president and vice-president to incredibly (impossibly?) high standards, but c'mon... I expected a more apologetic tone, some kind of recognition that the use of the f-word was at least, a mistake, a slip-up, or more realistically, inappropriate and disrespectful, tacky, crude and unbecoming of the office of Vice President of The United States of America.

I don't know if I'll vote for Nader, or simply just not vote, but the handling of the matter has cost you my vote for re-election.

James Lamb, age 30
Los Angeles, California

No comments: