Customer Connections: Using Social & Customer Data to Improve Email Relevancy
Stephanie Miller, VP, Digital Messaging Solutions, Aprimo
Julie Brown, Consumer Marketing Manager, Kansas Speedway
- Your customer is learning about in a lot of new ways, a lot of them you don't control or pay for
- Their research will lead them to you eventually
- (1) Customers don't want more email, they want relevant email
- (2) Communicate on the customer's timeline and urgency
- (3) Where do we go from here? (checklist)
- What hasn't killed email? (spam, blogs, twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, Youth, etc.)
- Email marketing is technology-driven
- Monte Carlo (Vegas hotel) example - one template, unlimited customization, including photo (see slides)
- See slide #26 for checklist. In brief:
- (1) Check the data (3 steps)
- (2) Mold the program to "in market" moments (3 steps)
- (3) Focus on "raving fans" (3 steps)
- (4) Ultilize alternate channels (1 step)
- Recommendation: 10-15% of message each month should be customized and you'll see lift in all messages
- Evolution of email: Mass/bulk/blast -> Event-triggered -> Life-Stage -> Lifecycle
- "Don't use data too soon or it's creepy."
- If they (Kansas Speedway) has a twitter account, they use hashtags in the subject line - and they do then see those tags tweeted.
- "Each email is buying the opportunity to send the next email."
- View the slides on Slideshare