- If someone sends you an email with a really cool, amazing fact, it's a lie. Visit http://www.snopes.com/
- If someone sends you an email asking you to "forward this to 10 friends" don't do it. It's a lie, and your friends will secretly hate you.
- Don't download anything. It's got a virus in it.
- Don't give your email address to just anybody. (And if you get an e-mail from someone you don't know and it says "click here to unsubscribe" -- don't do it, then they know your address is valid.)
- Unless you are a king or prince from some far off land, there is no reason a king or prince from some far off land would be contacting you to transfer his money to your bank account.
- If a woman starts chatting with you online, that's really a man. A dirty, dirty man.
- That really funny joke or web page you'd like to share with all your new online friends? Don't do it. We already read it 5 years ago. As a new web surfer, you are prohibited from forwarding any jokes or URLs to friends for five years.
- Your username is not cute, clever or funny. Or original. That's why Yahoo suggested adding 909653 to the end of it when you signed up.
- Anything you put on the interweb will be there forever. Don't put up pictures of yourself drinking beer unless run a beer company.
- If a website requires you to enter your name and e-mail address in order to read what it says, you can find it somewhere else without having to give away your private information. Or it's not worth reading.
Friday, May 11, 2007
New To The Interwebs?
Hi! If you're new to the information super highway, here are some rules that will help you as you traverse the interweb.