Friday, August 20, 2004

Open letter to our nations' leaders

I don't know if either of you have had children, but my wife just recently gave birth to a beautiful little girl. When she cries, it just really tugs at me and makes me want to cry. And that's just even when she's just hungry or fussy or bored or tired or just because she feels like it. When
she cries because she's in pain, you just want to die.

It seems to me like supporting the Unborn Child Pain Awareness act is a no-brainer.

As a child, I remember going with my mom on two different occasions to have cats put to sleep. It was very sad, but I know that they were tranquilized in the process, so to them, it just felt like they were falling asleep. They weren't in pain and, well, being cats, probably didn't think much about whether they were going to wake up or not.

But the point being, surely if we're going to end the life of a human (or nearly-human, depending on your point of view), surely we ought to give the same option of pain relief as we give to pets.

No comments: