Thursday, December 21, 2000

Thursday, December 21, 2000 -- just after midnight

Thursday, December 21, 2000 -- just after midnight (so, it's technically Friday)

I took a pretty long walk tonight, was gone almost two hours. I did stop at a grocery store and a drug store to buy a couple of things, but I still think the walk was at least 4 miles. Yay me.

Work today was pretty non-existant. Wendy came in for a little while to tell everyone about their merit pay and to confirm our bonuses (no merit pay for me because of the contract). Then she was gone again; she had asked for the day off. It was so dead. Frank took orders for Taco Bell, went and got Taco Bell and then later said "Oh, it's on me. Happy Holidays. Bet you wish you ordered more, huh?" That was cool. I overheard Cynthia telling Becki that she was going to start looking after the bonuses were paid. It'll be sad, our core group really hasn't changed too much in a year. We've had a few temps and Faye, Kathy and Millie left but that was a year ago. Sue's one year anniversary was yesterday. Maybe Lillian is newer, but mostly we're all the same as we were a year ago. I think that's pretty spectacular. I watched L.A. Story in the afternoon because I had nothing better to do.

Ok, more catching up time. Let me tell you about my friend Kevin. I met Kevin my freshman year at the television station. We were both interested in student T.V. because it offered so many opportunities for us to goof around and play with cool toys. I really met him and got to talk to him when he called me to ask me to let him into Foss Hall. He had printed out enough copies of a flyer to put one under every door in every dorm on campus trying to get himself voted into some office for ASPLU (Associated Students of PLU) as a write-in candidate. It didn't work. Anyhow, our first year we did quite a bit of stuff together with the station. He lived in Hong and I lived in Foss. At the end of the year, he got a faculty member to sponsor the "Media House". PLU owned a number of houses near the school and with a faculty sponsor, students could live there. (The faculty sponsor didn't live there.) We got a four bedroom house about half a mile from lower campus, bordered by the school's 9-hole golf course. (At one time it had been 18, but they reduced it to add more buildings.) We lived in that house for one year and then Campus Safety decided they wanted the house so we were told to get out. Our other two housemates Wayne and Jon graduated, so that left Kevin and I. We were allowed to pick wherever we wanted to live so we picked a place called Evergreen Court which was little two-bedroom apartment style dorms. We lived there for two years, working at the television station and sometimes I would guest on his radio show. We got to be really good friends and drank lots of beer.

Because of Kevin, I ended up coming down to California on my senior year Spring Break. I had already been working for TV Net, but coming down to California made me realize that I belonged here. Sometimes I miss the snow and rain, but then it rains and I no longer miss it (people down here don't know how to drive in it, and because it rains so infrequently, the ground gets really slick from dirt and oil when it rains). After college we moved down here and then he suddenly moved back up there to start a wedding video business. Unfortunately, it didn't all come together the way he had hoped, so he came back down here. We don't see each other as often as I'd like, but he lives in Anaheim. Well, he used to up until about a week and a half ago when he moved to South Pasadena. Of course, now that he lives in South Pass., he finally got hired at Disneyland. (He would apply every year as a lark and they'd never call him back and this time they hired him as he was turning in his application.) He's also working for Dick Clark Productions. He doesn't like a lot of the people who work there and my theory is that they act the way they do from having worked there so long, so I've told him to be careful. This is a very brief description of Kevin, but it's a start.

I always feel so guilty sitting down here and typing after having been gone out walking so long because Lori's usually getting ready for bed. She was doing other stuff so she's just now getting ready for bed, so I'm going to call this good for the night.

No comments: