Saturday, December 26, 2009

Thou Shall Steal (and Profit!)

A great article today on MSNBC about Christian "parody" products and why they persist (companies are hesitant to appear "un-Christian") despite clear copyright violations.  Looks like I need to look into The Center for Church Communication, but I'm not holding my breath - there's no Facebook or Twitter or anything on their homepage.  Looks clean, sterile and static. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again... parody is misunderstood by the modern church and it shows a true lack of understanding and creativity.  It may be a shortcut to recognition, but it's also free advertising for companies that you might not want to associate Christianity so directly with.  I got excited once when I heard of a Twitter named "Jesus needs better PR" - until I quickly found that he was identifying a problem but not working to address it.

Related posts: