Friday, November 02, 2007

Oh, No! A Strike!

Yes, but what all of us want to know is if this will mean we can finally get something well-written on TV now that all the hacks are carrying picket signs? (If their puny arms can lift them.) (Disclaimer: I'm watching more TV than last year, I've rather enjoyed Chuck and Pushing Daisies.)

I am interested in seeing how this strike goes... recent trends in the grocery and auto unions have been to target a single chain or single manufacturer and get them to cave in. Divide and conquer.

Seems like it would be a little harder to do with a studio/network since they're all so intertwined, making shows for each other and stuff like that.

If I were running the union, I would strike at NBC Universal and at any individual shows produced by another studio that aired on NBC. Keep everyone else working, including all the people at Letterman and the guy from Drew Carey and the guy from KROQ who's on ABC. Having only Leno and Conan on reruns would push NBC Universal to the table quickly.

I hate unions.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, nobody is less fond of the current state of the union than I am, but this isn't an "I hate unions" situation.

The people who create the words that make a lot of money for a lot of people aren't making a lot of money. Those that have the money aren't willing to bend... not even a little bit... when it comes to giving a percentage of a percentage for online content and DVD sales.

The problem with your theory is that one network (or media company) can't make the difference. It is the conglomerate of producers that must all agree, and any given producer is notorious for not caring about what misfortune happens to another given producer. Your plan might work if NBCUNI has a big enough voice to force others to bend, but there are too many people who need to agree on this contract.

By the way, I don't mind Chuck... it is a sloppy premise but it is decent mindless fun.

Anonymous said...

Care to explain your "I hate unions" comment? You wrote an entire post explaining how you think they could succeed, then just dropped that line with no explanation.

James Lamb / tvjames said...

I don't know that there's a lot to explain. I think "I hate unions." is pretty straightforward.

I've also got a lot a foolproof way to steal a lot of cars without getting caught. But I still think stealing cars is wrong.

I thought my first part, an attempt to disparage people who write inane tripe was pretty clear. But I guess not. I guess there's an example of poor writing.