Tuesday, February 28, 2012

One Little Word

I regretted it the minute I said it. One little word I wish I hadn't said. I stammered an apology and moved on. It was out there, I couldn't take it back and I hoped that it wouldn't cause the listener to discount everything my boss and I had said in the past hour, trying to make our case. We debriefed later, I had a different thing I regretted, right at the end, that might or might not have mattered, but this was the one he remembered. He said he could see the regret on my face immediately. I don't think he disagreed, but yeah, I should have avoided it.

That word "little" - I basically basically ended up describing their request, their project as inconsequential. I meant to say that it was relatively or comparatively small, but instead, I ended up being possibly saying something slightly or insulting. I was trying to let the math speak for itself, but if I had even said "small" it probably wouldn't have been as noticable.

A shame, really. Darn.

No comments: