Tuesday, February 12, 2008

King of Pain

I thought it was an interesting song to come up on the iPod. Notsomuch the title, but the thought of a black spot on the sun. Granted, it is nighttime, the fog is rolling in really, really heavy. As the song began, I could see the fog rolling in from about 15 feet up, light giant breakers off the bay. But the time I began to type this, I was fully wrapped in it. Now it's some nostalgic non-hit Bryan Adams CD-filled track. The streetlights floating orbs of white, yellow or greenish light. Coronado Island - entirely gone. Downtown San Diego almost gone. iPod now failing me with more songs with the black mark of skip incremented and I settle with Roxette ready to hear something, anything so I can get back to typing. I am on mile two. I really want to do the entire lap twice, but we'll see how I feel when I get to the hotel, if I want to spend another hour walking (apparently I walk slow).

I love this ability to walk late at night. I used to do that in Sherman Oaks and Van Nuys. Then when dating we'd walk a lot in Burbank and then when married Glendale, Monrovia and Pasadena. I really miss that, the times for leisure walks, either alone or with Lori, and later while pushing a stroller. I walked some in Seatte, mostly with the dog, but I always felt guilty, that I was neglecting chores or temporarily abandoning the family for selfish reasons.

It's a phase, I know. I'll get to walk again.

No comments: