Monday, October 30, 2006

Daylight Saving Time... Feh.

Daylight Saving Time was almost a good idea. In the spring, we move the clocks forward one hour. That means when it's 5 pm, it's still as if it was 4 pm. So it's lighter longer in the evening.

That was a stroke of brilliance. What wasn't was saying then that we'd go back to normal time at the end October of each year. I would much rather drive to work in the dark than drive home. In the morning, all you have to look forward to is work. In the evening, all you have to look forward to is everything else. When you're still asleep in the morning, why not just drive in the dark? And then when you're asleep in the evening after a day of work, it's much better to have the daylight to be awake to and enjoy.

So when I left for work this morning. It was light out, but not that pretty kind you get at the end of the day as the sun is setting. No, this was the harsh gray morning light of a cold day. The car said it was 32 degrees out, so there'd be no walking before work. And since it will be pitch dark by the time I leave work, there probably won't be any walking afterwards. I may just ask for a permanent change in my work hours to work from 7 am to 4 pm. I wouldn't be surprised if I could get it.

No comments: