Monday, May 22, 2006

Updated Google Wish List


I've started the process of putting these requests on the more appropriate
Google Groups, but they actually ought to have a "Suggestions/Feature
Request" category within each section.

Gmail
(1) "Map" link in contacts if address is stored
(2) "Add to Contacts" link on recognized address or phone number
(3) Ding noise for new messages, like what's now available for Google Talk
(4) Remember Chat/NoChat/HTML lite by computer, not by login (w/chat is blocked at work so I elect for NoChat version at work, but want Chat version at home)

Gmail-Contacts
(5) I cannot mark an e-mail address as "inactive" - If I can archive e-mail forever, then eventually someone's going to give up an old address, but I still need it tied to their contact so that when I view e-mails from them, these old e-mails show up.
(6) If a website address is added, it should be parsed out and available as a clickable link.
(7) Tabs - a long list is no fun to scroll through but sometimes search isn't the best option (sorry!)
(8) Ability to merge contacts

Local
(9) "Identify" option on maps, that can give you the address of the location you've clicked on. And then can search Google for that address. (big brother? maybe. Zillow uses Google Maps and offers the addressing part already.)
(10) doesn't refresh/update the search results as you move the map (see Live Local and Yahoo! Maps Beta)
(11) doesn't offer categories (see Yahoo! Maps Beta) - hopefully new deal with Verizon Superpages will solve this
(12) no way to close/hide the search results panel

Calendar
(13) Allow me to select an address from my list of contacts -- even if that contact isn't on the invite list.
(14) separate the "location" into two parts... a written description and a actual address.
(15) parse the comments so that maps and links are live
(16) allow for the deletion of comments

Talk
(17) doesn't show events from the calendar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think one of those requests exists. There is a notifier plugin for Gmail that will ding and/or show a notification of new mail in your system tray. I tried it for a while but found that I'm more productive if I check my email when I have time rather than drop what I'm doing to see what's arrived.

James said...

Thanks for your comment!

But... let's say that I work somewhere where I can't install software.

I can, I'm in the internet group so we get an exception, but everyone not in our group can't install anything.

If they can make it ding for new chat notification, it shouldn't be too hard to make it ding for new mail.