Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Review: Consumer Reports - Nov. 2011

I'm trying to get more caught up on my magazine reading. And then perhaps books. I'm way behind, it's something that's slid recently. We'll see what slides if I start reading again.

Anyhow, a recent (this month!) Consumer Reports. I can't guarantee that all of my future magazine summaries/reviews will be this up-to-date. In fact, I guarantee they won't.

Stuff I learned:
* Fabric softeners will make towels less absorbent. Wash them without every so often and they'll dry better.
* Most of the world's most common currencies contain BPA (a pretty nasty chemical with health hazards) - another reason to wash your hands after handling money

Things they reviewed:
* Digital Thermometers
* Laundry Detergents
* Outlet stores and outlet store products (these days most products are produced especially for the outlet stores - no factory seconds here)
* 500 products by price level (great for gift buying)
* Vacuum Cleaners
* Car Wax (Nu Finish is a top scorer)
* Car Tires and Batteries
* Hyundai Genesis, Toyota Avalon, Acura TL, Chrysler 300, Hyundai Sonata Hybrid, Nissan Leaf (normally they break a car in for 2,000 miles before testing.  They couldn't do that this time, plus they couldn't buy i t locally so they had to ship it.  An interesting anecdote in and of itself.)

You can read parts of the issue online.

I highly recommend subscribing to Consumer Reports

No comments: