Wednesday, July 02, 2014

Overcoming Micromanagement, part 3 (A Work-Related Post)

Welcome to day 3 of my series on Micromanagement. Look to the end of the post for links to the previous days' topics.

Can you overcome micromanagement?

First, you have to ask yourself a few questions:

1. Is this an environment I can continue to participate in? (Am I contributing? Do I have a sense of worth? Is it healthy? Can I respect myself?)

2. Do I believe change is possible in the person micromanaging me? (Will they stop micromanaging me at some point? Do I have a sense of what drives them to micromanage me and can I figure out what it will take to change that?)

If you believe change is possible, then it's time to dive in. In Enchantment by Guy Kawasaki (my review) we're reminded that our job is to do what our superiors want. So we have to start by making sure we're doing what's asked of us. Even if that means doing things in a very specific manner, or filling out highly detailed reports. 

The hard work is ours. We'll look more tomorrow about how to overcome micromanagement and why it starts with us.

If, however, you believe change is not possible, then it's time to move on, especially if this is in the context of a work or volunteer opportunity. Staying simply reinforces the bad behavior of the micromanager.

Overcoming Micromanagement

No comments: