Thursday, June 16, 2011

More Mentoring Musings

As part of my mentoring, I was assigned "Becoming a Person of Influence: How to Positively Impact the Lives of Others" by John Maxwell and Jim Dornan. I read the introduction and chapter one, taking notes as I went. Suddenly, a lightbulb went off. Now, I read books on strategy, books on innovation, books on social media, but not too many books on direct leadership-type topics. Not sure why.

But if I was saying the other day that you need to practice and know the rules and that mentoring is coaching, then reading books on leadership is just studying the techniques and learning from others. It's just more mentoring, in paperback form.

So I guess all this time I've just been winging it. I've tried to learn and grow as I go, but like mentoring, books on leadership might just be another help that I've been depriving myself of. Reading books and trying to apply what I'm learning just says that I'm being intentional about it.

Duh.

No comments: